Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Projects for Mom

My mom found this old chair years ago.  It had a woven rush seat and was painted some awful color.  She loved the carvings on it and decided to see if she could salvage it.  She took it home and got my stepbrother to sand off all of the old paint.  Then it sat around in her garage for ages waiting for a new coat of stain and poly.  Now, I am a painter...I've never stained a piece of furniture in my life.  But I hated to repaint the chair after my stepbrother had gone to all the trouble to get every last speck of paint off of it.  I happened to have a can of stain/poly in one and decided to see how it went.  If it looked horrible, I could always paint it! :)  I forgot to take before pics (I just get so excited to start a new project!)  But here is the result.


My amazing husband got out his saw and built a new seat for it, as it had none.  I got a thick piece of foam and used some embroidered cordouroy I had lying around to do the upholstery. 


Mom loved it!

While we were visiting I also made her this bulletin board out of an artist's canvas and a piece of fabric.  Simply stretch fabric around the canvas frame, pulling it taught.  Cut a piece of cardboard to fit inside the back of the canvas frame to give the tacks something to stick into.  Voila!  An easy, custom bulletin board. 



After it was hanging on the wall a bit we decided it needed a little something...  I wanted to add a frame of black grosgrain ribbon around the edge, but mom couldn't find her glue gun.  It'll be a project for another day... for now at least she has somewhere to stick her shopping list.

No comments:

Post a Comment